Saturday, January 24, 2009

Diary continued

Yesterday turned out to be my biggest test to date since I quit smoking. We 2 musketeers (Caps disappeared on us) decided to play some pool after exercise. So we went to the Green House in UG Road. Not too bad a place that, 2 decent tables too.
Man, my nose seems to be attuned to the scent of cigarette smoke. It can be the faintest of smells, and I pick it up. Not only do I pick it up, I can identify (in most cases) the brand too! So we jump out of the van and I smell cigarette smoke - Bristol, Pall Mall - and my throat goes dry. Already I'm craving.
I think, ok, be strong now. We go in, order some games, vodka, and chaser. We play for a while. I sip my first shot and think, man, I really do miss holding a cigarette and drinking and playing pool. My mind is telling me that I quite enjoy holding a cigarette, and if I hold one, I'll feel better. I shrug that off.
My body screams, just one, just take one, you'll be ok. Just the one for the night. But I know, 1 becomes 2, becomes 20, and it is all for naught.
In walks HS, Troy is on his way he says. Great, more fun, more vodka, more games. We play 4-hand. We take turns winning. The craving increases. Troy says you can't quit suddenly, you have to ease off. I think he's wrong.
I think, it's a good thing Caps didn't make it after all, I might have given in first cigarette he stuck in his mouth.
Anyways, we 4 non-smokers have a blast, I get quite high, and we leave. I discover I get more than high when I reach home: eat, bathe, (according to Radha, fall asleep in the bath, and struggle with my clothes) and sleep. I can't remember any of that, she might be kidding. No, she says, really. Hmm...
This morning, hungover, headache. Awake at 6, feed Anusha, sleep again. Feel much better.
Benefits: I scrub the concrete downstairs, and I'm not as out of breath and tired as the last time I attempted this. The lungs don't burn gasping for air as before. I'm not even breathing too hard. The concrete looks much cleaner than last time too!
I'm sure us 3 musketeers will meet soon. That will be a bigger test, or maybe I'll be strong enough to shrug it off. I wonder though, for how long will I battle the craving? I've read books where the character seems to have given up smoking a number of years, and still craves every now and again. But then I think, how true is that? What does the author know about that?
Let's see though, eh?

No comments: